Wednesday, December 19, 2012

First Grade

A few weeks ago, I mentioned my memory box at Momma's house, and the little pieces of our childhood that she saved for us. I stole a couple of things from the box, so I could blog about them. One of the items I stole was a book of letters from my fellow first graders.


It was simply Handwriting Paper with notes and pictures from my classmates stapled together.

My friend Connor drew this photo of me. Apparently I had big feet as a 1st grader.
I doubt it meant much to me when I was in first grade. I'm sure I simply brought it home, gave it to Momma, and went on with my day.


A lot of the letters are from people that I was in school with from kindergarten to senior year. I have no reason to keep this little book except for the fact that it makes me smile. Which is enough of a reason for me. (I'm a bit of a hoarder.)


I love the innocence in each note. There is something about kids that is so honest, yet so sweet. I love the genuine kindness that exudes from the pages.


And I just can't get over the adorableness of first grade spelling. It's perfect in its own little way.

Adam and I were square dance partners at the annual Kindergarten square dance showcase. I think there is a video of it somewhere...
Yesterday I participated in the Blogger Day of Silence to honor the victims from Sandy Hook Elementary School. Those victims included children just like my first grade classmates that were in the middle of reading, writing, and learning. Tragedy is not a strong enough word to describe the loss of those precious lives. I can't even think about it without tearing up. So much darkness. So much anguish. 

My dad brought up the old Christmas carol, I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, and I love how well the third & fourth verse illustrate what so many are thinking.

And in despair I bowed my head:
"There is no peace on earth," I said,
"For hate is strong and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men."

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
"God is not dead, nor doth he sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail,
With peace on earth, good will to men."

The line God is not dead, nor doth he sleep hits me hard. He is alive and knows our pain. No amount of blogging, talking, or news coverage will take away our sorrows, but even in the darkest of valleys, the deepest of questioning, and heaviest of sadnesses, we are loved by a God who came to earth as a baby to set us free and put hope into our hearts.
:j

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment! I really appreciate your kind words. If you have any questions, feel free to post them here and check back for an answer!
:j