Sunday, February 13, 2011

Every mind is a room packed with archaic furniture. - Dee Hock

The first piece of "real" furniture I ever bought was my white couch. I remember it was a Sunday evening, and I was eating dinner with my parents. My grandma called to tell me that there was a white couch on Craigslist. (She combs Craigslist like the head of a little kid with lice - sorry to make you itch, but it's true. She is the Craigslist Queen!) Anyway, I'd just purchased my house, so I needed furniture. If you tell gma that you are looking for something, I can almost guarantee she'll find it at a sale or on Craigslist within 2 weeks. It's like her spiritual gift or something. Some people are good at teaching, some prophesy, my grandma is a bargain hunter. So, after gma called, I looked up the ad, decided I needed it, called the guy selling it, and went to see it with my dad. $75 later, the couch was mine, and I loved it.

Momma did not share my love for the couch. She said it was dingy, and she hurt the couch's feelings by talking about how low it sat, and then she said I needed a new couch. Mean while, I lost the leather sofa and recliner I had in my living room to my brother. Technically they were his, but I got to use them while he lived with me. Then he bought his own house and decided that he needed a couch and recliner, so all I was left with was my white couch.

As I was furniture hunting to find something to replace what Josh took, Mom convinced me that matching couches might be cute. She conned me into flipping through Pottery Barn magazines to see the matching couches that they used. She'd point out design blogs that had matching couches all in an attempt to break my love for my white couch.....which was starting to look a little dingy. Finally, I found a sofa set that I really liked. Actually there were 2 sofas that I really liked, but then Momma had a dream that the one I really liked just wasn't right for my house. The next night she dreamt about the other sofa set, and decided that it would be the better choice.

Therefore, based on 2 dreams, the need to replace Josh's furniture, and a white couch that was looking dingy, I ended up with new living room furniture. 

This is what my living room used to look like.

And this is what it looks like now



Mom got the chairs on either side of my TV for $10 at a garage sale. The original plan was to recover them, but they ended up working really well with the new furniture, so we'll see.

And as for my white couch, it's life made it full circle. I sold it on Craigslist within 24 hours of posting it. Dinginess and all.

:j

2 comments:

  1. I love your description of your grandma's "spiritual gift" - I wonder what you would claim as mine?

    I love the couches too... so adultish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet...where did you get the new furniture from? I need to sell my current couch and look into some new living room furniture right now.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment! I really appreciate your kind words. If you have any questions, feel free to post them here and check back for an answer!
:j