Sunday, April 26, 2009

Revolution

When I was in high school, my youth pastor, Jason, gave me a book titled Revolution: The Call to Holy War. 6 years later, I have finally gotten around to reading the book. I think the reason I was hesitant to read the book was the title; the word "revolution" scares me.  Once I began reading it though, it challenged my view of Christianity. Too often, I want my faith to simply be going to church on Sunday and praying before meals because that is easy. I can do that with out having to step out on a limb. Reality is though, Christ calls me to step out. I could go on and on about how the gospel is much more intense than what most of us learned in Sunday School, but the point of this post is to share a few excerpts from the book, so I'll save that for another day.....or you can go read a few of my friend Ali's posts on her blog, because she does a good job explaining that in her early posts. :)

So, here are a just a few excerpts that I am pondering:

"Just think: We live in a time of moral madness and social uncertainty, a time when talk of a moral revolution should be everywhere. Instead, the best-selling “revolutionary” books are books about new diets! What does this say for us as a people? When we need to be talking about the call to die for the gospel, we are talking instead about the call to diet for good looks. What a sad indictment! And what does it say of our self-deception and lack of discipline when we are at one and the same time the world’s best-read nation on diet and nutrition and the world’s most obese? Even our pets are overweight. We need a revolution!"

"Let’s face it: There were problems in Jesus’ day; there were problems in Luther’s day; there were problems in Wesley’s day; there are problems today. So why all the fuss? Given a certain perspective, things can always look pretty bad and someone can always make a case that serious judgment is near and great collapse is coming. But, the argument goes, those who are mature will have a more balanced outlook. They won’t panic all the time, and they won’t cause everyone else to panic needlessly. They will go about their business, preaching the gospel and helping those in need, and they will do it with balance. They will be stable and steady, not easily moved by the latest prophetic fad."

"The gospel is the ultimate revolutionary message. It says we are governed by a higher authority, ruled by another power, at home in a different world."

Also, you might want to know that the author is founder of the Brownsville Revival School of Ministry, which may turn some people away from this book. Michael Brown, as he challenges Christians to live a life for Christ, is not trying to turn people on to the Brownsville revival movement with this book (he does that in another book titled "Let No One Deceive You"). In this book he is simply advocating living a passionate life for Christ alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment! I really appreciate your kind words. If you have any questions, feel free to post them here and check back for an answer!
:j